Direct Operator Billing? What's that?
Direct Operator billing (or DOB) is a mobile payment option that lets you download and purchase digital content like games, movies, music, eBooks, apps, etc. from Google Play Store and charge it to your Prepaid balance or to your Postpaid bill.
What is Google Play Store?
What kinds of apps are available in Google Play Store?
There are literally thousands of apps on the Google Play Store! You can select and download the apps that you want. They are categorized under Games, Movies, Books, Apps, etc., and inside each category is a view of Top Paid and Top Free apps that are downloaded by other users.
Are all the apps available in Google Play Store chargeable?
Nope. Most of the apps, around 80%, are free to download, while around 20% of them are chargeable.
Some of the apps are also on a Freemium basis. "Freemium" means that apps are free to download but will have in-app purchases. In-app purchases are credits/points that you need to buy while going through the application, mostly applicable in games.
What do you mean by apps and in-app purchases?
"Apps" or applications are software programs designed to run on smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Mobile games, utility apps and location-based services, banking, order-tracking, ticket purchases are few examples of mobile apps.
In-apps, meanwhile, are additional content or services that can be found and purchased within a mobile application. For example, Candy Crush is an App and the credits/points that you purchase while playing Candy Crush are in-app purchases.
I get it now. But I am a Prepaid user. When will I be charged if I choose Direct Operator Billing as my payment option?
You'll be charged immediately for your app purchases from the Google Play app store
How about if I'm a Postpaid customer? When will I be charged if I purchase apps through DOB?
You'll be charged through your Postpaid bill. Your transaction will reflect on your billing statement depending on your bill cycle
How will the charges reflect on my Postpaid bill?
You'll see your transaction charges for your app purchases in your monthly bill under WAP downloads.
Take note that the amount reflected on your bill is the total amount charged for your Google Play purchases. If you want to know the breakdown and records of all your app purchases, please refer to terms & conditions
Can I get all details of the purchases I made in Google Play?
Yes! We will have a view of all your Google Play transactions. However, there might be some delay in getting real time information. Transaction records will be available 2-3 days after your purchase.
As an alternative, you can also check your email for purchase notifications or confirmations from Google. These notifications are sent to you real-time after your purchase.
How can I purchase an app in Google Play Store via Direct Operator Billing?
Here's a step by step guide to help you:
- Step 1: Go to Google Play Store and select the app you want to download from the list.
- Step 2: Click the price button to be redirected to the page for App permissions. This portion includes storage requirements and other details. You need to "ACCEPT" the app permissions to proceed to the next page.
- Step 3: After clicking the "ACCEPT" button, you'll see the name of the app that you want to purchase along with the price button. Click "Continue'.
- Step 4: That leads you to the Payment Options. Select “Use Idea Billing" to pay your app via Direct Operator Billing.
- Step 5: An account verification page will be displayed next. Once the account verification process is complete, you'll be directed to the registration process. Registration process happens only once during your first purchase. Enter your name, phone number, and billing address.
- Step 6: Check & accept the ‘Terms of Service'. That takes you to the page where you see the app name along with the price details that you wants to purchase. The price is exclusive of convenience fees You'll be charged 16% convenience fees only (in case of subscribers buying from MP, 54% convenience fee will be charged) over and above the displayed price. Click on the "BUY" button to proceed with the purchase.
- Step 7: Enter your password and that's it! Complete your purchase and you are ready to download the desired content.
Will I be notified after making a purchase?
Yes, you'll get a notification via email from Google on the details of your purchase. You can also view the apps installed by going to the "My Apps" section inside the Google Play Store. This section is for active apps that are successfully installed.
You'll also see the list of apps that you have installed under the "All" section. This section includes all the apps, including the deleted ones.
Do I need mobile internet to purchase apps or in-apps?
Yes, you need to have mobile internet to purchase apps or in-apps in Google Play. Data can be either Mobile Data Service provided by your mobile operator, or any Wi-Fi connection.
Just be advised that for your first purchase via Direct Operator Billing, you need to use your Mobile Data Service. For your succeeding purchases, you can already choose to use a Wi-Fi connection.
I'm using a dual SIM. But upon inserting both SIMS, I became unable to make any purchase on the device. How can I make a purchase with dual SIM?
Dual SIMS have a master SIM and child (secondary) SIM. The master SIM is the one registered first in Google Play. The charging via Direct Carrier Billing is on the master SIM which should be an Idea SIM, too. That means if you entered both SIMs at the same time, the device will not be able to recognize which is the master SIM. You need to insert one SIM first and make an initial purchase. This will establish the connection with Google Play and your preferred Globe mobile SIM.
I'm an Idea user, but an unable to see Idea Billing as payment option.
You need to reset your Google Play account with the right local address details - fill in all fields, including country as India.